The Records Division is responsible for processing and maintaining every report, record, ticket and document issued by Ellensburg Police Department Officers.
In addition to reviewing, processing, storing and retrieving these documents, records personnel also maintain computerized records databases, prepare and distribute daily activity summaries and statistics, transcribe, duplicate and distribute investigative reports.
Our goal is to provide highly accurate and detailed information to support the efforts of other members of the criminal justice system, including prosecutors, defense attorneys, courts, and corrections.
Customer Services provided by the Records Division includes
- Managing records requests
- Departmental telephone and walk-in reception
- Gather and maintain departmental statistics
- Design and produce the EPD annual report
The City of Ellensburg is committed to responding to all requests for identifiable public records in a timely manner. To make a Request for Disclosure of Public Records including an Ellensburg Police Department (EPD) report, manual or other city records, complete this form.
Once the form is completed, you may submit it one of the following ways:
• Complete and submit online.
• Print and complete then mail, fax (509-962-7281) or hand deliver to either EPD or City Hall.
For EPD requests, complete and mail or hand deliver to 100 N. Pearl St., Ellensburg, WA 98926.
Requests other than EPD may be mailed or hand-delivered to 501 N. Anderson St., Ellensburg, WA 98926.
Walk-in requests are welcome at City Hall or the Ellensburg Police Department, location dependent on your records request, during business hours, Monday-Friday 8 AM – 5 PM.
COST FOR PUBLIC RECORDS
There is no fee for inspecting public records. Should you wish to receive copies of records, the fees are as follows:
- NO CHARGE for records requests fulfilled by email
- Printed copies - $0.15 per page (per RCW 42.56.120)
- Media requests such as disk cost $1.00 per disk
Payments by cash, check or money order only (no credit cards) payable to the “City of Ellensburg”.
RESPONSE FOR REQUESTS
You will receive a reply to your request within five business days of receipt of the request to:
• Make the records available for inspection or copying.
• Provide a reasonable estimate when records will be available.
• Contact requestor to request clarification.
• Deny the request citing the reason for denial.
Any records or portion of records that are exempt from disclosure will be withheld or redacted. We will specify the exemption that applies to any documents withheld or redaction made.
Common exemptions: See RCW 42.56 , RCW 10.97, RCW 13.50, RCW 46.52
Records Index - There is no single index of City records. The City of Ellensburg has determined that maintaining a central index of City records is unduly burdensome, costly, and would interfere with City police operations due to the number and complexity of records generated as a result of the wide range of police activities.