The School Resource Officer (SRO) is a resource throughout the school system and performs the functions of a law enforcement officer, and law-related educator. SRO Mike Coppin is a member of the National Association of School Resource Officers. Ellensburg Reserve Officers will supplement the SRO at both Morgan Middle School and the Ellensburg High School.
The SRO and Reserve Officer's responsibilities include:
- Providing security for students and staff members during school hours and after school functions like sporting events and dances.
- Assisting visitors to the schools by ensuring they sign in and out.
- Traffic control while students and parents are coming to and from schools.
- Parking enforcement at the high school.
- Reporting any disciplinary issues observed to school administrators.
- Classroom educational presentations.