What is Identity Theft?
Identity theft occurs when someone uses your personally identifying information, like your name, Social Security number, or credit card number, without your permission, to commit fraud or other crimes.
What do I do if I think my identity is being used?
- As many as 9 million Americans have their identities stolen each year.
- Identity thieves may rent an apartment, obtain a credit card, or establish a telephone account in your name.
- You may not know your identity has been stolen until you check your credit card statement - or are contacted by a debt collector!
- Identity theft can be costly!
- File a police report.
- Check your credit reports.
- Notify creditors.
- Dispute any unauthorized transactions.
To learn more about these steps visit: DEFEND: Recover from Identity Theft