Help keep roads and walks clear while avoiding fines, damage, and towing.
1. Shovel Your SidewalksEllensburg residents need to safely use public sidewalks.* Owners or occupants of every parcel are responsible to clear all sidewalks and/or walking paths in front of their home or property. * All snow and ice must be removed by 9 a.m. daily after a snowfall. Failure to do so is a violation of the Snow and Ice Removal Code 5.40.140. * Fines: Up to $25 per violation.
2. Don't Plow Snow Into Street* It is unlawful for any person to plow or clear a parking lot of snow and ice and thereafter place, throw or deposit that snow or ice on any street, alley, or sidewalk in the city.* People who push snow from a parking lot onto public rights-of-way may be fined.* Fines: Up to $250 plus the cost of snow removal.
3. Don't Get Plowed In Or TowedHelp our winter street crews by taking these steps when it's expected to snow.* Park vehicles in driveways or parking areas off the main streets.* If you don't have a regular off-street parking area, consider moving your car when the road is scheduled for plowing. * Be aware of parking signs. Some areas are closed to parking during certain times for snow removal. Violations could lead to your vehicle being towed.
4. Prevent Frozen PipesCold weather can freeze pipes leading to bursts that can cost thousands of dollars in damage.* Keep the heat set to at least 55 degrees.* Close windows, but keep doors open to rooms that contain plumbing.* Ask a friend to check your place while you are away.* Know where the water shutoff valve is located.* If you have a water emergency, call 509-962-7230.
5. Follow Us For Alerts* Sign up for our emergency notifications to receive updates related to snow/ice and more. * Please know that alerts of snow plow activity and other emergency notifications can happen at any time of day or night.* Snow/ice removal questions? Call 509-962-7230. * View our snow plow map.