The mission of the City Attorney is to provide quality legal services, advice and representation to the City Council, City Manager and City departments. The City Attorney also administers the contract with a private attorney appointed as City Prosecutor to provide prosecution services in Lower Kittitas County District Court for violations of the Ellensburg City Code.
Appointed by the City Manager, the City Attorney:
- Advises and represents city elected and appointed officials, departments, boards, commissions, and task forces on all civil legal matters pertaining to the City of Ellensburg
- Represents the city government in its day-to-day operations
- Intakes and processes records requests (other than Ellensburg Police Department)
- Reviews, drafts and negotiates contracts to which the City is a party
- Drafts and reviews proposed legislative enactments of the City Council, i.e, ordinances and resolutions
Who to Contact with Questions
Citizens who have questions about city ordinances should call the city department involved. It is the departments, not the city attorney, who administer the application of ordinances. If the department has questions about how an ordinance applies in a particular situation, the department will contact the city attorney for legal advice.
The City Attorney does not represent the individual citizens of the city in private matters such as criminal defense, landlord / tenant issues, private property issues, recovery of loan money, divorce issues, recovery of wages from an employer, child custody issues, etc. For matters such as these, the citizen would need to contact and consult with a private attorney.
Prosecution of City Criminal Cases
The City’s prosecution services are contracted to Tony Swartz. For more information, visit the City Prosecutor page
Citizens can view and search the Ellensburg City Code online. A hard copy of the City Code is available at the Ellensburg Public Library, 209 N. Ruby Street, Ellensburg, WA 98926.
501 N. Anderson St.
Ellensburg, WA 98926
Phone: (509) 962-7259